Friday, August 29, 2008

Getting Ready For the Wedding Rehearsal


Ever wonder what it’s like for a planner on rehearsal day. Well since I’m getting ready for a big wedding this weekend, congratulations Laura and Joey, I thought we’d do a run through of my day.

Cathy, one of my assistants with the "bible"

Already this morning, I have talked to several of the vendors. I’m waiting for a call from the tent people to let me know what time they will be arriving to set up the tent. I have printed off timelines and diagrams for all my staff that will be working the wedding. I have put together the “bible” for this wedding. A notebook filled with everything I need to know for the big day. This includes my welcome speech that I do before every rehearsal.

As soon as I get the call I will drive the 30 or so minutes out to the site, to make sure everything is set correctly then come back in time to get everything together for the rehearsal. This means, practice bouquets, the Ipod for music for practice (since the musicians don’t come till tomorrow) and our walkie talkies to make sure they will work out there. Oh and I will need to print off name tags to give the people in the processional.

Mary and Cathy at rehearsal

Once my staff is here, we will drive back out to the site and set up for rehearsal. This means making sure chairs are in place, table is up for sand ceremony and Ipod is set to go. Once everyone arrives we will run through the rehearsal. This usually takes one hour and then grab a bite to eat somewhere on the road and back home.

At home we’ll make any changes to the timelines or diagrams that are needed and charge up the walkie talkies and camera. Then it’s time to start packing up everything we will need, emergency kit, steamer, easels, etc. and everything the bride has brought me to set up for the wedding, favors, programs, portrait, bubbles, memorial candles, etc. After that I’ll press the clothes we’ll need for tomorrow and it’s off to bed to try to get a few hours sleep, before the big day.

Wow, I’m exhausted just thinking about it. I can’t imagine how a stressed bride could handle all this without the help of a planner or why she would want to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails