Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finding the Perfect Wedding Dress At An Affordable Price


One of the hardest parts of planning a wedding is making a budget and sticking to it. The toughest part of sticking to the budget for any bride is purchasing the dress. Just about every little girl dreams of the perfect wedding dress and perfect dreams are expensive. But one of my new favorite bridal shops in the Greenville/Mauldin/Simpsonville area is here to help you with this problem.
The Dress, an upscale bridal consignment boutique that recently opened in East Butler Plaza (103D East Butler Road) in Mauldin, SC, carries some of the most beautiful gently used or new bridal dresses I’ve seen. None of the dresses are more than five years old and all have been carefully dry cleaned before being displayed. The selection is beautiful. We are talking upscale and couture.

When I stopped by for a tour and was so impressed, I asked the owner Julia, who is very sweet, if she would mind doing an interview for my readers and she graciously accepted.



Tell me what makes your company special:

We are the only upscale bridal consignment boutique in the Greenville Area. We carry a beautiful selection of bridal gowns, bridesmaid gowns, and accessories. We also work closely with a few bridal salons, and have received a number of their stunning couture sample gowns. Our gowns are no more than five years old, in excellent condition, and similar in style to what you will find in bridal stores today, but at a fraction of the price. If a bride finds “the one”, she can walk out that day with her gown. She does not have to order the gown, and wait months for it to arrive. With the rising costs of weddings, a bride can come to our boutique, find the perfect gown, take it home that day, and use the money she saved on the dress, towards the honeymoon!!

How did you get started in the business?

The idea for this boutique came from my own frustrations in the search for my wedding gown. Everything I tried on was gorgeous, but strapless. I wanted something different. Online shopping revealed an enormous selection of gowns. I was hesitant to buy online, because I didn’t know what I would really get. There were too many uncertainties for me. I wished there was a local store that had at least some of the designer labels I saw online, so I could try them on. I thought that I couldn’t be the only bride who felt way. So, the idea for my boutique was born…

What do you like best about your job?

I LOVE when a bride finds THE gown. It is such a special moment. I love being part of that experience.
What are the questions a bride should ask when choosing a vendor in your field?

Do I need an appointment to try on, or consign gowns? Do you perform alterations, or can you recommend someone? Are items returnable? As for The Dress, appointments to shop are not necessary, and after hours appointments can certainly be scheduled. Our gowns are not ordered. What you try on is what you can walk out with that day, and all sales are final.

What is the hardest thing about your job?

I want to break the stigma of bridal “consignment”. Coming to my boutique is like attending a sample sale all year round. A wedding gown is only worn one day. If it is taken care of, and cleaned well, it can look brand new! I am selective with the gowns I accept, and I am always looking for that stunning couture gown to resell. Not all consignment stores are the same.

Anything else we should know:

I love what I do! I help dress all my brides, and give them each a personalized, enjoyable shopping experience. I do not believe in “high-pressure” sales. I will not tell a bride the gown looks beautiful on her just to make the sale. Come in and enjoy!

Thanks Julia for taking the time to talk with us.

Photographs by Gene Ho

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another great source for used designer wedding dresses is http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com. They have tons of dresses - alot of Vera Wang, Melissa Sweet, Monique Lhuillier, etc.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails