Thursday, February 21, 2008

Things We Love - A Really Good Photographer

Dennis and Yvette of Photogrpahy By Dennis and Yvette


If you ask any bride, next to her dress what is most important, she will more than likely tell you her pictures. Having a photographer that makes her wedding photos look like they came from the pages of a wedding magazine is every bride's dream.

There are a lot of good photographers in Greenville, ones to fit just about every budget. One of my favorites to recommend is Photography By Dennis & Yvette. The thing about them is that 1) they are a husband and wife team, so you have two people shooting at your wedding, something I always tell my brides to have and 2) I don't know anyone who works harder at trying to please even the most bridezilla bride than Yvette. I asked Yvette if she would like to be interviewed for "My Things We Love" series and she graciously accepted.

Hi Yvette, thanks for talking with us, first off why don't you tell me what makes your company special:
We are a husband and wife team who specializes in weddings. We concentrate primarily on weddings, while a lot of photographers tap into different forms of photography. Our focus is on brides and grooms and working toward capturing their day.

How did you get started in the business?
Dennis had previously shot weddings in Chicago. We first thought of shooting weddings as a hobby and for extra income. When I shot my first black and white of a bride in the Clemson Botanical Gardens on the bridge, I knew I had an eye for not only taking pictures, but for capturing magical moments in time.

What do you like best about your job?
My favorite part of the whole wedding process is having the couple come to us after the wedding to pick up their album. To see them laugh, cry, and ahhhhhhh over the pictures gives me a warm feeling inside. It's hard to describe. Knowing that I am responsible for someone's memories in print is as much of a high for me as a sky jumper that leaps from an airplane. It's a thrill that is hard to beat.

Tell us about your favorite wedding or event:
I can't remember a wedding that I haven't enjoyed. We have been so blessed with wonderful couples and families to work with. If I had to pick one that stood out more, it would be a wedding in Tryon NC. It was an outdoor wedding in the city park. When I read city park on the contract, my thoughts were that it would be a very simple and plain wedding. Although, the bride wore a knee length dress in place of the typical gown, this wedding was far from plain. The couple was open to anything and just wanted to have lots of fun. We took some of the most unusual pictures that day. Some may frown at some of the things that they did, but we had a total blast and still get referrals from their friends.

What are the questions a bride should ask when choosing a vendor in your field?
I would make sure that the rights to the pictures were included or available for purchase. I would ask if the photographer will touch up the photographs at no extra charge. I think one thing that brides fail to ask is about equipment. This doesn't mean that she needs to know if he/she shoots Cannon or Nikon. It does mean finding out if they have more than one camera, flash units, compact cards, and anything else they need to as backup. If a bride thinks that a photographer won't show up with just one camera, she is badly mistaken. A photographer that is new to the business may assume that one camera is sufficient and nothing could go wrong. We have actually used four cameras at one wedding to keep from loosing time trying to figure out what was wrong with one. We carry six.

What’s the hardest thing about your job?
It is the hours and hours of post processing the pictures. For every hour of shooting time, I spend at least three hours on computer detailing the pictures.

Anything else we should know?
Make sure you connect with the photographer. It doesn't mean that they have to keep you laughing or that they have to be in your age bracket. A connection means that you feel comfortable that they will do their job and get what you want. When interviewing, think of these things...Will this person be flexible with me? Will this person make sure that they meet my needs? Will this person be available to answer questions and really look after my interest and not just what they want for their portfolio? During an interview, don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure that you are hiring a true professional. Just because someone says they are professional doesn't mean that they won't interrupt your wedding ceremony by running down front and putting themselves between you and the guest while flashing away. Hire someone that is a true professional in every sense of the word.

Thanks for sharing with my readers Yvette. I know you and I will be working on some beautiful weddings together in the future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails