Thursday, January 31, 2008

Celebrating February With The Things We Love


February is the month of love and for such a special month, I decided we would do a little something different to celebrate. All this month, I’m going to talk about things I love (that are wedding related of course). I thought I would start with an interview of a vendor I know you will love.

I know there are a lot of blogs out there with interviews of all types of wedding vendors, everyone from Preston Bailey to Vera Wang. If you want to read some really great ones check out fellow wedding planner Liene’s interviews at Blue Orchid Designs. But, I thought we would do things a little different here at the Willrich Planners Blog and interview “local” wedding experts.

These are local vendors that can actually make your wedding something spectacular, because let’s face it as wonderful as Preston Bailey is, the chance that you’re going to hire him for your wedding is slim at best. So let’s talk to what I consider the cream of the crop in this area and get to know them a little better.


Life of the Party DJ's. Robert is 2nd on top row


First up is Robert Batson owner of Life of the Party DJ. Robert has provided DJ entertainment to upstate South Carolina for over 20 years. Life of the Party now has 8 DJ’s that provide everything from recorded music to live vocals for your wedding and reception. You have probably heard one of his DJ’s, Sam, singing at the bridal shows. Robert and I have worked together a lot and I love working with him. I wanted to ask him a few questions, so you the new bride and groom, can get to know him better too.

Tell me Robert, what makes Life of the Party special?

Robert: Our guarantee of no time limit and one flat fee for a reception. A bride has enough to worry about on her wedding day and should not have to worry about paying overtime for music entertainment or having extra charges to pay.

How did you get started in the business?

Robert: I majored in radio & TV technology in school and we were encouraged to let our personalities and creativity come out. I have always been tied to music through instruments and popular music. I did not start DJing full time until 2000.

What do you like best about your job?

Robert: I enjoy making people dance and have fun. I really feed off the excitement of the crowd and the compliments I get after an event.

Tell us about your favorite wedding or event.

Robert: I don’t have a particular one that stands out. I believe the one we did for the Miss South Carolina Gala is right up there. 800 people and I did the dance music that night with a full dance floor. People said some really nice things to us and we were asked back next year before the event was even finished. That was fun.

What are the questions a bride should ask when choosing a vendor in your field?

Robert: I believe you should always check references. Not just brides’ references but wedding industry references. Venues that refer you usually have a good gauge on who has a good reputation. If a DJ company calls you back, can they meet with you and answer all of your concerns?

What’s the hardest thing about your job?

Robert: The hardest thing is missing family events on Saturdays when I am working 98% of the time. Missing the boys sporting event or a birthday or family visit.

Any words of advice for our couples?

Robert: My advice to all of my brides and grooms is it’s your big day so enjoy and plan what you want to do for your satisfaction and fun.

Thanks Robert, it was great talking with you and we will be working with you soon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails